- There are too many factors to take into consideration here, and each home can be different. However a good quality job done by a professional crew under normal conditions should last anywhere from 5-8 years. Call us and we will be happy to evaluate your particular situation and offer you a more precise answer.
Can aluminum and vinyl siding be successfully painted?
- Yes, absolutely. While it is understood that people are cautious and confused about the logic in doing so there is no reason to hesitate. These products are often sold with the understanding that they are maintenance free. Nothing is further from the truth. These products do require regular maintenance that is more often than not never performed because the homeowner believes that they require no maintenance. Washing periodically is needed to remove dirt and oxidation just like your automobile and when this is not done, repainting or replacement will eventually be needed. Obviously repainting is by far the most cost effective alternative.
What color should I paint my home's exterior?
- Color is a matter of taste, however, there are two rules we like to recommend.
1) There are two schools of thought when it comes to selecting the right color of paint for the exterior of your home. One is that you own your home and the land beneath it, so you should have the right to choose any color exterior paint you want. Also pick colors which are best suited for your style of home.
2) The second school of thought is that color choices for exterior paint should be compared against the existing schemes of other homes in your area. You don't have to match your next-door neighbor's home shade for shade, but be aware of unspoken community standards before investing in paint. And also since dark colors tend to fade faster than light and mid tone colors, we suggest you keep these to a minimum. Dark colors are best as accent tones on shutters, doors, etc.
The exterior color schemes of most homes are generally more conservative than interior color schemes. Some may choose to coordinate the exterior color with the interior, but this isn't strictly necessary. As long as the transition from exterior to interior is not too overwhelming, the exact color scheme doesn't have to match. Consider the color of the first room guests will enter for some ideas on an exterior color that won't clash.
Is there anything that you can put into the paint to help prevent mildew?
- The truth is yes and no. There are special chemicals that can be added to the paint which are designed to help with this problem. However, it usually involves more than a simple additive if the mildew is an ongoing problem. Mildew will grow in a damp and shady area with poor air circulation. Bathrooms will greatly benefit from an open window and a vent ceiling fan. Other areas may be as simple as frequently cleaning the areas.
How is my property protected during painting?
- Drop cloths are used underneath all areas that are being painted. Walkways, patio furniture and shrubbery are all protected during painting.